- 1 or 2 shallots
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh thyme
- ½ cup arborio rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup roasted hazelnuts
- Fresh basil
- 3 ounces baby spinach
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ½ cup fresh ricotta
- Peel and finely chop the shallots. Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon. Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
- In a large sauce pot over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon butter or oil until hot but not smoking. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to soften and caramelize, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook until the edges of the rice look translucent, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and 2 cups water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the rice is tender and the liquid is almost completely absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. While the risotto cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Zest and juice the lemon. Coarsely chop the hazelnuts. Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Add the basil, spinach, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice to the risotto, stirring until the spinach is just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest and Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the risotto to individual bowls. Garnish with the ricotta and hazelnuts and serve.
I received this recipe and all the ingredients to make this meal in my Sun Basket subscription. Sign up for Sun Basket and receive 3 meals for free here!